From Patrick Mueller <>
Subject Re: Callback CCLA questions
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 15:11:59 GMT
On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 09:39, Ross Gardler <>wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2011 2:18 PM, "Ken Wallis" <> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Ross.  I will follow this up with you offline and with the
> appropriate people here.
> >
> > That said, what are the requirements on contributions from outside the
> committers group?  That is currently where Gord and I fall.
> >
> For contributions that don't contain significant IP you would issue a pull
> request and a committer would integrate into the tree. However, if you
> don't have permission to contribute its on your head to make that pull
> request (which implies permission to use the code is given).

I assume the RIM folks intend on contributing significant IP they own to
Apache (ie, code they have written).  They just need to work with their
lawyers to get the ICLA signed before we accept the contribution.

Thinking about the next step, assuming RIM folks would like to become not
just "contributors", but "committers".  Even if they don't, we will likely
have other contributors that would like to become committers.

How do we turn "contributors" into "committers"?

My understanding is each Apache process comes up with a process and
policies for making this happen.  For instance, in the WebKit community,
what happens is that once a contributor has made > X contributions, a
committer may nominate that contributor to be a committer, and a vote is
held.  I believe Eclipse is roughly the same.

Is that about right?  Where do Apache projects typically document such
policies/processes, and are there some exemplars we can base ours on?  I
found an example here, - is that
a good example?

Patrick Mueller