From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CommonJS and AMD (and, not or)
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2011 17:33:33 GMT
A few more thoughts, perhaps jumping the gun a bit.

Seems possible we may want to support a variety of "JS module" types,
including:

* standalone js files that you just <script src=> into your .html (not
really "modules")
* AMD-authored .js files
* CommonJS-authored .js files
* npm-styled packages of .js code

See the problem.  Many types of files, all ending in .js.  If we want to
have automated processes work against this stuff, for builds, we're going
to need one of:

* project-specific build scripts with hardcoded directory / file names
* utilities to sniff .js files and tell us what kind they are, so tooling
can operate against them correctly
* configuration files that tell us what kind of files live where
* convention that tells us what kind of files live where

Some of this is kinda easy.  It's easy to recognize npm-styled packages,
because they live in directories named "node_modules".

But how do I tell an AMD authored .js file from a CommonJS authored .js
file (assuming the CommonJS file doesn't live in an npm package)?  How do I
tell either of those apart from a plain old .js file I just want to include
in my .html file?

I have no answers, only questions.  But I do have a preference of
convention over configuration, and sniffer utilities are too fragile for me.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org