From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CordovaView?? - A proof of concept of making a custom Android View with Cordova Web APIs exposed
Date Sun, 11 Dec 2011 09:17:53 GMT
On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 01:40, Jesse MacFadyen <purplecabbage@gmail.com>wrote:

> I am working on a similar refactor of iOS code. Moving the majority of
> the code into the view controller and out of the application.
> This will allow the use of a phonegap view in any application, not
> just a PhoneGapApplication subclass.

I wasn't quite sure what Joe was talking about in his post, but if I read
Jesse's note correctly, this is a move from a "application-centered"
version of the Cordova runtime to a "control-centered" one.  +1 on this.

I'm curious as to the affects on plugins when we move to "control-centered"
from "application-centered".

1) are plugin instances shared across multiple controls?  Or does each
control get their own private instance of each plugin?  Or - it it more
complicated than that?

2) even if plugin instances aren't shared across multiple controls,
presumably a plugin may be using "static" sorts of storage, which basically
makes their plugin instances shared across multiple controls despite the
fact that they aren't designed to be.  Meaning, you shouldn't be storing
any control-specific data in static-ish data areas in your plugin.

I think there are issues here, w/r/t plugin design, that go along with this
"control-centered" version of Cordova, and we need to get those spelled
out.  It might just be a note on dangers of using static-ish storage.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org