From Laurent Hasson <lhas...@rim.com>
Subject RE: finding a new name that isn't PhoneGap
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 20:19:05 GMT
+1 on Cordova/Cordoba. I do like the name, and Ricardo Montalban is hard to beat as an endorsement.
WebKeg is nice too, but may be considered "less serious" by some players. Although Keg is
technically a general barrel/container :) No beer implied.

Thank you
- LDH (Laurent Hasson)                         -
- Technical Director, BlackBerry Web Platform  -
- Research In Motion                           -
- Email: lhasson@rim.com                       -
- Mobile: 646-460-7066                         -
"Ha ha ha... He doesn't know how to use the three seashells!" - Erwin

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Mueller [mailto:pmuellr@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 3:56 PM
To: callback-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: finding a new name that isn't PhoneGap

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 14:52, Laurent Hasson <lhasson@rim.com> wrote:

> I personally like more generic and unique names that aren't tied to a
> particular technology at all (i.e., Tomcat). Not only does technology move
> fast, but it's also better from a Web search point of view. The brand will
> build on it by itself as we deliver a great solution (look at "Amazon"
> starting as a book store and evolving to what it is now).

+1

In that light, cordova seems like the best name to me.  Googling it, I saw
the github repo of Brian's as the first hit on the second page of hits; but
that's just me and my browser.  Also, there's this (luckily, different
spelling): http://youtu.be/vIL3fbGbU2o .  You can just smell that
Corinthian Leather.

I know the name "WebKeg" was tossed around, but was that a joke?  On one
hand, it implies "lots of beer" to me, which is perhaps not a great
association.  On the other hand, I'm reminded of the Big Keg o' Health from
Unreal Tournament (some version before most of you were born, prolly).  I
could see a barrel busting out with awesome as a neat "logo" image.  I like
"web" in the name, compared to "device", since this project is more about
exploiting web technologies rather than just devices - there are the
"desktop" versions of the runtime to consider as well.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org

and may be unlawful.