From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Plans for migrating to SVN?
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2011 15:16:01 GMT
Hi all,

sorry that I have missed the email mentioned here:

>> See http://markmail.org/message/4sovlo3p7nxngwy3 for the summary of
>> the discussion from a few weeks ago.

I had other things to deal with, as mentioned on private@.

Until I saw Ross e-mail to infra, I was under the impression Callback
is preparing to use Jukkas git2svn tool from github.
Unfortunately I cannot find any arguments on this because the
mentioned e-mail is referring to a call.

>> The consensus within the team seemed to be that they'll rather wait
>> for full Git support to become available than switch to svn now only
>> to switch back to Git later on.
>
> There is no guarantee of Git support ever being provided. There are
> significant IP management and technical issues to be addressed before
> Apache projects will be allowed to use Git. There is an experiment
> underway right now which, if successful will allow read/write Git to
> be provided for all ASF projects. However, there is no guarantee of
> the experiment being successful and no timescales are provided.

In addition, there are not only ip/technical issues, we simply don't
have any experience if the git-way is compatible with the apache-way
from community perspective.

> The incubation proposal that created this PPMC was voted for on the
> basis that the code would move to SVN [1] and I feel that the result
> of the vote would have been quite different if this had not been the
> case.
>
> I see no discussion from other mentors on the thread linked above, is
> this an accepted proposal? Speaking as a mentor, I suggest that
> without approval from the wider IPMC this proposal is not acceptable.

Even when I would love to see git finally arrive at the ASF, I must +1
what Ross said.

Git is not ready yet and nobody can tell if it will be ready next year
or in 2013 or never. Incubation will not succeed as long as the source
code is not in the asf repositories. As I could see with the Wave
podling source repositories outside the asf lead to much confusion and
pain.

Anyway you guys might want to bring this up to the IPMC directly. If
they support it, they (and you) will need to convince infra and the
board. There was such a discussion recently and there was not so much
support for this.

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de