From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Plans for migrating to SVN?
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 06:53:22 GMT
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 4:13 AM, Don Coleman <don.coleman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Switching to subversion would be disruptive.  It is not just a matter
> of running a script to convert a repo from git to subversion.
> Switching to subversion fundamentally changes the workflow.
> Git works very well.  The ability to fork, edit, and contribute
> patches painlessly is important.  Git makes it easy to review and try
> other people's code.  The best stuff can be merged.  Changes that
> aren't accepted can live on outside the system.  Having many forks is
> a strength of git.
> Hopefully we can find a way to make git work in the ASF system for PhoneGap.

Many of us know the strength of git already on technical way. But mind
what Ross wrote. And mind what the git tool might affect in community.
I am with Ross too, there will be no effects. But other think
different and we need to clarify that first.

There is lot of heat and discussion in this currently. And there is a
running experiment with git at the ASF which will not finish before 4
months.

But hey, this is the ASF. If you really want to use git here, you are
all invited to join the party at couchdb-dev and volunteer to help
with writing guidelines "how to use git @ asf".

Cheers
Christian

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Laurent Hasson <lhasson@rim.com> wrote:
>> My $.02: there is a lot of religion, no doubt, but having worked with both SVN and
Git, it is clear to me that Git is much more nimble. I can't give concrete examples why, but
that's what I have observed in the past year since I have been exposed to it (after many years
of SVN).

>> As such (religion plus real/perceived nimbleness), switching to SVN will likely turn
off a number of participants in the current community and slow everything down.

>> One thing highlighted below is a security concern but I am not sure I understand.
No matter where things come from, at the end of the day, it all ends up as a pull request
which has to be approved before getting into the main repo. I am missing how this is different
from current practices.

>> I believe many in the PhoneGap community are/were under the impression that Git would
remain the project's repo even as we move to Apache, thus the confusion/questions on this
thread.

>> LDH (Laurent Hasson)
>> Technical Director, BlackBerry Web Platform
>> Research In Motion
>> Email: lhasson@rim.com
>> Mobile: 646-460-7066
>> "That's who you remind me of: an evil Mr. Rogers!" - Simon Phoenix
>> Sent from my BlackBerry Torch!

privileged material (including material protected by the solicitor-client or other applicable
privileges), or constitute non-public information. Any use of this information by anyone other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error,
please immediately reply to the sender and delete this information from your system. Use,
dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this transmission by unintended recipients
is not authorized and may be unlawful.

--
http://www.grobmeier.de