From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Plans for migrating to SVN?
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2011 15:15:10 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Ross Gardler
<rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> There is no guarantee of Git support ever being provided.

We can always revisit the plan should it become obvious that the ASF
is not going to support Git any time soon.

On the other hand as long as it's likely or at least possible that the
ASF will start offering canonical Git repositories within say next
year, there's little point in migrating to Subversion only to switch
back to Git in a few months, especially since the Git-to-Subversion
loses history even with the git2svn script I created for this purpose
(to my knowledge it's the most advanced Git-to-Subversion mapping
currently available).

IMHO it's better to wait and see for now and revise the plan as the
outcome of the CouchDB experiment becomes clearer. There's no need to
rush things. For example Apache Wave worked with their original Git
repositories for over a year after entering the Incubator, so it's not
like this is a unique situation.

BR,

Jukka Zitting