From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: multiple issue trackers - apache jira, github callback, etc
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2011 23:39:23 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 12:27 AM, Gord Tanner <gord@tinyhippos.com> wrote:
> Is this an absolute requirement to use JIRA?

It's not. There are some Apache projects that for historical reasons
have been using issue trackers outside Apache, but the general
preference is for all important project work to happen on
infrastructure controlled by the ASF.

One good reason behind this is to avoid nasty surprises like an
external service provider starting to serve adds to, charge money
from, or sell personal details of our contributors.

That said, the case for good integration between the issue tracker and
version control is strong. There's ongoing work (for example, see [1])
to bring better Git integration to Jira, though it's obviously a long
way to catch up with GitHub in this area. And yes, among other options
there has also been talk about Apache hosting our own GitHub
Enterprise backend.

Anyway, to summarize: Our goal should be to have issues tracked on
infrastructure over which we have either direct or at least clear
contractual control. The question then is how we make that happen in a
way that works best for the community and can reasonably be supported
by the infrastructure team (which, BTW, can and should include also a
volunteer or two from Callback/Cordova).

BR,

Jukka Zitting