From Jukka Zitting <>
Subject Re: Plans for migrating to SVN?
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 13:44:01 GMT

Ross, I totally agree with your points here.

However, don't you think it's a bit counterproductive to enforce the
migration to Subversion now if it's possible that say in 2012 it might
already be OK to use Git within the ASF? The result would be that we
first migrate to Subversion, break history and developer tooling along
the way, and then switch back to Git to arrive just where we started.

We're not in a hurry with this. As mentioned before IMHO we should
postpone the migration a few months to find out what the best way to
proceed is. If it becomes clear that Git can be used within the ASF
within close enough future, then we'd better avoid the Subversion
roundtrip. And if some good reason comes up on why the ASF won't be
supporting Git any time soon, then we should indeed bite the bullet
and switch to Subversion as the canonical source repository.

Jukka Zitting

View raw message