From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Plans for migrating to SVN?
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2011 14:23:39 GMT
On 15 November 2011 14:03, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Ross Gardler
> <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
>> I'm not seeing any plans for migrating the Callback source to SVN. Can
>> you please tell us where we are at with this critical step to entering
>> incubation.
>
> See http://markmail.org/message/4sovlo3p7nxngwy3 for the summary of
> the discussion from a few weeks ago.

Apologies for not being on this list at that time. For some reason I
only subscribed to the private list until a few days ago.

> The consensus within the team seemed to be that they'll rather wait
> for full Git support to become available than switch to svn now only
> to switch back to Git later on.

There is no guarantee of Git support ever being provided. There are
significant IP management and technical issues to be addressed before
Apache projects will be allowed to use Git. There is an experiment
underway right now which, if successful will allow read/write Git to
be provided for all ASF projects. However, there is no guarantee of
the experiment being successful and no timescales are provided.

The ASF already provides Git mirrors of Subversion for read only support.

The incubation proposal that created this PPMC was voted for on the
basis that the code would move to SVN [1] and I feel that the result
of the vote would have been quite different if this had not been the
case.

I see no discussion from other mentors on the thread linked above, is
this an accepted proposal? Speaking as a mentor, I suggest that
without approval from the wider IPMC this proposal is not acceptable.

Ross

[1] http://wiki.phonegap.com/w/page/46311152/apache-callback-proposal

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)