From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Plans for migrating to SVN?
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 09:28:01 GMT
On 17 November 2011 09:07, Michael Brooks <michael@michaelbrooks.ca> wrote:
> @Christian I'm interested in helping the CouchDB guys write Git guidelines
> for ASF - if it's a step towards ASF adopting Git. Thanks for mentioning
> this!

Great.

The only way that we are going to be able to make this work for
Callback is to ensure the CouchDB experiment goes well.

We are not trying to solve the technical problems there, we need to
also look at the community problems that are potentially introduced by
a distributed source control system.

The goal is to demonstrate that The Apache Way can still be successful with Git.

However, don't let this divert the community here from making a case
for sticking with GitHub whilst being in the incubator. So far no-one
has answered my questions.

Why is Callback different from all the other projects in the ASF?

Why should a special case be made for Callback?

Saying "git is better" is not enough. We've had that conversation
hundreds of times already. The fact is Git is better at some things
and worse at others. It is simply a different technology. What I, as a
mentor of this project, want to know is why I should change my opinion
and fight for Callback to be allowed to stay on GitHub in the interim.
I also want to know what will happen if Git is never adopted at the
ASF.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)