From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re:[DISCUSS] bi monthly phone call time
Date Sat, 26 Nov 2011 16:42:32 GMT
On Nov 26, 2011 4:25 PM, "Brian LeRoux" <b@brian.io> wrote:

> In other threads we've discussed that we want to continue the
> tradition of having a regular phone call to garden the issue tracker,
> but wish to make it more formalized.
>
> I'd like to propose we have a phone call the second and last Monday of
> each month at 10am PST.
>
> That time means folks on the east coast are calling at 1pm, and in the
> UK at 6pm. Mondays are a passive aggressive day for a meeting of this
> nature but since it is a bit of a reset on our priorities it makes
> sense to me.
>
> Thoughts?

you are proposing a time that is in work hours for MA but outside work time
for most of the EU and pretty much useless for Australasia. Its almost
impossible to find a time that suits all I'm a community project (where all
includes potential attendees, even ones we don't yet know about).

Its for this reason that we discourage synchronous communications in ASF
projects.

Speaking entirely personally (UK), I will not attend meetings that
interfere with my family life. 6pm is the time I sit down for dinner with
my wife and children, so would never attend at that time.

Speaking for the unknown community a 1600–1700 UTC  start time seems to be
what I see as the most popular time for international meetings. However
that still excludes much of Australasia.

There is no good answer (other than don't have synchronous meetings).
Rotating the times can sometimes help, i.e. exclude people equally.

Ross