From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: Plans for migrating to SVN?
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 15:54:20 GMT
On 17 November 2011 15:40, Laurent Hasson <> wrote:
> I have always taken this conversation as Git Vs. SVN, not GitHub.
> I think it's clear that the technical arguments of X Vs. Y are thin. The real issue I
don't see addressed enough is the culture change. PhoneGap is strong, but it isn't immune
to defection if the cultural changes imvolved in moving to SVN are perceived to be greater
by the community than the move to Apache. Community shocks have occurred in the past and sunk
projects. I am on the fence about this.

This is the issue I want to get to the bottom of. ASF projects are
managed in an open, meritocratic way with a single canonical version
from which releases are cut. This can be done with Git (technical
concerns aside), but it does require a certain cultural attitude
towards project management.

I am concerned that a desire to stay on GItHub and/or Git is an
indicator that The Apache Way may not be the right model for this
project. Since Jukka knows what he is doing my concern may be
unfounded, but as a mentor I need to understand this project in order
to best support it.

I've asked twice already, but not got a direct response. I'll ask
again: What is it about the existing development process that cannot
happen in SVN. If we can understand that then we can start to explore
what "cultural shocks" there might be around the corner.

> LDH (Laurent Hasson)
> Technical Director, BlackBerry Web Platform
> Research In Motion
> Email:
> Mobile: 646-460-7066
> "That's who you remind me of: an evil Mr. Rogers!" - Simon Phoenix
> Sent from my BlackBerry Torch!
and may be unlawful.

Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)