From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Plans for migrating to SVN?
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 14:00:26 GMT
On 17 November 2011 13:44, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ross, I totally agree with your points here.
>
> However, don't you think it's a bit counterproductive to enforce the
> migration to Subversion now if it's possible that say in 2012 it might
> already be OK to use Git within the ASF?

It's not the tools I care about. It's the processes. An insistence
that GitHub is the only place that this project can build the type of
community it wants to is a huge warning sign for me.

I've not seen that addressed yet. Is this community willing and able
to conduct itself in a way compatible with The Apache Way? If it is
then SVN vs Git is irrelevant from a tool point of view.

> We're not in a hurry with this. As mentioned before IMHO we should
> postpone the migration a few months to find out what the best way to
> proceed is.

It is likely to be 6-12 months (at the current pace) before Git is
available at the ASF, if at all. It might be that this community can
help accelerate this through positive engagement with the Git
experiments.

Ross