From eduardo pelegri-llopart <pele...@calterra.com>
Subject Re: Plans for migrating to SVN?
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:03:54 GMT
I 've interacted with Apache since '99 - Tomcat, Jasper - and I've stayed
in touch for many years, but unlike folks like Duncan I've never been a
participant in the trenches.  I was at Sun when we discussed Hg vs Git (vs
SVN vs CVS).  I was a user of Teamware (an early distributed SCM).  I've
seen Oracle adopt Git in some new projects and I've advocated Git (and
GitHub) at RIM.

With all those caveats...

 * Hg vs Git has been won by Git.  Even Atlassian supports Git
 * Git is gaining traction everywhere I see.  Eclipse just added it.
 Java.Net has it.
 * Git is impacting the way new developers are approaching the development
cycle. So are some of GitHub's features.
  ** Most notable for me is that "fork" is no longer a dirty word.  Number
of "forks" is now a measure of success in GitHub.

 * I believe Git increases participation and communication in any project.
 It has done that with all the projects I've seen.
 * Git seems compatible with "The Apache Way" as I understand it.

Also, I truly believe ASF needs to support Git or it will loose relevance,
specially among smaller groups and individual develpers.  For example, a
major reason why Jenkins didn't go to Apache was the lack of Git support.

I'll subscribe to the CouchDB DEV list to follow the discussion there.

  - eduard/o

The goal is to demonstrate that The Apache Way can still be successful with