From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Plans for migrating to SVN?
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 08:59:20 GMT
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 3:29 AM, Laurent Hasson <lhasson@rim.com> wrote:
> ...I believe many in the PhoneGap community are/were under the impression
> that Git would remain the project's repo even as we move to Apache, thus
> the confusion/questions on this thread...

Let's clarify this: it is currently a requirement for all ASF projects
to use svn.apache.org as their code repository.

As Jukka suggests, Callback being in incubation can continue to use
github for some time, but that prevents the project from graduating to
a top-level project, and probably even from making ASF releases (as
the ASF releases source code, which has to be hosted on our
infrastructure so that we control it).

git.apache.org provides "bridges" that allows committers to work with
Git, up to a point.

The CouchDB project is currently using Git as their main repository,
as an experiment which might result in ASF projects being allowed to
use either Git or Subversion in the future. We don't know when that
might happen. I personally hope that happens soon, but that's just my
opinion.

-Bertrand