From Gord Tanner <gtan...@gmail.com>
Subject Unified phonegap javascript layer incorperating modules / plugins
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 20:27:04 GMT
Hello,

I have put together a quick prototype to iron out some of the design
choices I think would really help phonegap to get to a point where we have
one common javascript layer for all platforms.

Source can be found here:
https://github.com/gtanner/phonegap

the HACKING file outlines key areas to focus on:
https://github.com/gtanner/phonegap/blob/master/HACKING

Key points:

- All API definitions in phonegap should be plugins / modules.
- In additional to being able to require in submodules, the existing
phonegap APIs should still be injected.
- There is one javascript project that is common across all platforms.
-- Should allow for platform specific overrides
-- Should allow for 3rd party modules to easily be included and used.

Currently this has only been tested on Ripple (ripple.tinyhippos.com) in a
special prototype branch I wrote to emulate the native layer a little
closer.  If you want to run it instructions can be found in the readme file:
https://github.com/gtanner/phonegap/blob/master/README.md

The plan is to further define this architecture and rapidly build out more
support next week and get it running on a few of the platforms.

Cheers!

-----
Gord Tanner
Code  Poet