From Ben Plowman <ben.plow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] rename callback to cordova
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2011 03:28:48 GMT
An important consideration is that while many languages, including English,
tend to rename countries (Deutschland -> Germany, España -> Spain, Nederland
-> The Netherlands), renaming cities is much less common. Berlin stays
Berlin, and the same is true of Madrid, Amsterdam, and so forth. Equally
important, in this specific case English-speakers still use "Cordoba." If
you Google "Cordova, Spain" (with the quotes), Google will ask you "Did you
mean 'Cordoba, Spain'?".

I really like that Cordova is the name of the street where Nitobi was based
and think that's a perfect basis for naming the project. It has a great
answer to the inevitable question "why is it called that?" which other
software projects (ahem, GNU) have done a poor job answering. Since far
more people have heard of Cordoba the city than have heard of Cordova the
street, it makes sense to keep the same great backstory and just change the
spelling slightly to better appeal to the majority to whom it sounds
peculiar. For those people, I suspect Cordova sounds a bit like "Peking"
does to most of us today.

For those reasons, I think Cordoba with a "B" is the best option, and it
has my vote, though it appears that some sort of re-voting may be required
with multiple options so that it is a proper vote.

--Ben