From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unified phonegap javascript layer incorperating modules / plugins
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2011 13:34:59 GMT
On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 06:09, Viras <viras@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> However I would avoid sticking to a syntax of a popular framework. E.g.
> I'm a fan of jquery and I'm using jquery.mobile for my app with great
> success, however if you now force me to stick to a commonJS like syntax
> for callback it will be quite confusing.

Existing, non-modular JavaScript shouldn't be a problem to handle for
any of the module systems.  What syntax do you think we'd be forcing
on people to use jquery mobile, for example?

In fact, I don't think we'd ever want to "auto-modulize" any existing
JS file.  You'll continue to use jquery mobile by adding a <script
src=> for it in your .html files, or however you currently do it.

That said, jQuery has nascent support for some flavor of AMD -
https://github.com/jquery/jquery/blob/master/src/exports.js

Last note, some folks write JavaScript such that it can be used in
multiple environments; underscore can be used in a browser by just
<script src>'ing it, used in CommonJS, and it appears now to support
AMD:

    https://github.com/documentcloud/underscore/blob/master/underscore.js#L51

--
Patrick Mueller