From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unified phonegap javascript layer incorperating modules / plugins
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2011 13:19:58 GMT
On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 00:35, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:
> Which is actually how Gord did things ... perhaps our loader can be
> AMD satisfying the technical requirements outlined here and the
> definition can be in the CommonJS style. For those doing browser dev
> or that want worse performance they can use the Loader. For those
> building phonegap apps (into a phone) the compiler does the job.

AMD started life as CommonJS Transport/C -
http://wiki.commonjs.org/wiki/Modules/Transport/C ; in CommonJS lingo,
a Transport is a bit of runtime, along with some boilerplate you wrap
around your module, so that you can actually get all this stuff to
work.

For modjewel (CommonJS module system I use for weinre), I had
originally implemented Transport/D, but more recent versions use an
subset of AMD as my boilerplate.

So, it's pretty obvious that AMD and Node/CommonJS-styled modules can
co-exist, in some sense.

The big trick, for a build tool, is figuring out whether or not you
have to "wrap" a .js file or not, before concatenating it to the built
wad.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org