From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Callback version available in platform natives and JS
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 17:43:36 GMT
With the change of the JSON code from PhoneGap 1.1 to 1.2, I had a
potential issue that could perhaps had been avoided if I knew what version
of PhoneGap I was using, as a C preproccessor define, in my native code.

Specifically, I had used the SBJSON include (whatever name that was) in the
BarcodeScanner plugin.  That code no longer compiled once 1.2 was
installed.  If I knew the version of PhoneGap, I might have been able to do
something like:

#if (expression evaluating whether I'm running 1.2 or greater)
   #import [[JSONKit include]]
#else
   #import [[SBJSON include]]
#endif

Likely, I would have had to had similar #ifs in my runtime code, unless
both libraries have same API.

Turns out, in this case, my code no longer was using any JSON utility
methods directly anymore, so deleting the existing SBJSON includes was my
"fix".

This just got me thinking that we probably DO want to have the PhoneGap
version available SOMEHOW for the natives, as well as the JavaScript
runtime. Having this available in JS would be nice, as we can arrange to do
a "version check" early to see if people are using different versions of
.js and native code - a problem I've run into myself.

Sound right?  If so, I'll open a bug, where we can talk about what the
"names" and "values" of these version identifiers should be.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org