From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unified phonegap javascript layer incorperating modules / plugins
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2011 20:42:18 GMT
On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 14:21, Andrew Lunny <alunny@gmail.com> wrote:
> For PhoneGap.js, we're dealing with a finite number of modules - around
> twenty I'd guess, plus one for each plugin. Typically, each module only
> depends on phonegap/base - it's very unlikely that, say, the Camera API
> would depend on the Accelerometer, although there may be cases of cross
> dependencies.

I take it you aren't including phonegap-plugins in that list (of 20).
Shouldn't they be?

I see things like Accelerometer, Compass, etc as "built-in" modules
... modules that we provide with the base.  Plugins are just modules
that aren't provided by the base.  Just as users add and remove
plugins from their projects, we should provide a way to add and remove
the "built-in" modules.  Eg, we could continue to ship a wad of .js
that has all the built-in modules, but a user should be able to easily
remove one or all of these as well.  And then add them back later,
somehow.

If we ignore user code for the moment, how often do you figure people
are going to be rebuilding their "core" (== base phone gap bits +
"built in" modules they've selected + external modules ("plugins")
they've selected), where that "built core" is what users know today as
"phonegap-x.y.z.js"?

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org