From Laurent Hasson <lhas...@rim.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] rename callback to cordova
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2011 05:27:28 GMT
Hmmm are we over-thinking this a bit? I am for Cordoba myself, but frankly, either is good,
and so much better than anything else we have come up with.

Flip a coin?

LDH (Laurent Hasson)
Technical Director, BlackBerry Web Platform
Research In Motion
Email: lhasson@rim.com
Mobile: 646-460-7066
"That's who you remind me of: an evil Mr. Rogers!" - Simon Phoenix
Sent from my BlackBerry Torch!

----- Original Message -----
From: Ben Plowman [mailto:ben.plowman@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 09:28 PM
To: callback-dev@incubator.apache.org <callback-dev@incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [VOTE] rename callback to cordova

An important consideration is that while many languages, including English,
tend to rename countries (Deutschland -> Germany, España -> Spain, Nederland
-> The Netherlands), renaming cities is much less common. Berlin stays
Berlin, and the same is true of Madrid, Amsterdam, and so forth. Equally
important, in this specific case English-speakers still use "Cordoba." If
you Google "Cordova, Spain" (with the quotes), Google will ask you "Did you
mean 'Cordoba, Spain'?".

I really like that Cordova is the name of the street where Nitobi was based
and think that's a perfect basis for naming the project. It has a great
answer to the inevitable question "why is it called that?" which other
software projects (ahem, GNU) have done a poor job answering. Since far
more people have heard of Cordoba the city than have heard of Cordova the
street, it makes sense to keep the same great backstory and just change the
spelling slightly to better appeal to the majority to whom it sounds
peculiar. For those people, I suspect Cordova sounds a bit like "Peking"
does to most of us today.

For those reasons, I think Cordoba with a "B" is the best option, and it
has my vote, though it appears that some sort of re-voting may be required
with multiple options so that it is a proper vote.

--Ben

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Shazron <shazron@gmail.com> wrote:

> I appreciate that it is considered a misspelling outside of Spain -
> but I believe Cordova is just the name known for Córdoba in the
> English speaking world. Like Germany is the English name for
> Deutschland or Allemagne in French.
>
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 4:23 PM, eduardo pelegri-llopart
> <pelegri@calterra.com> wrote:
> > Same here.  As a native Spanish speaker, I shudder every time I see
> Spanish
> > names mistreated in the US (and/or Canada).
> >
> > I appreciate the intent to link the project to the history of Nitobi,
> but I
> > doubt most Spanish speaking will recognize it as such.  Much more likely
> it
> > will be seen as (yet another) misspelling of a Spanish name.
> >
> >  - eduard/o
> >

> > On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Abu Obeida Bakhach <
> > Abu.Obeida@microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> >> +1 for Cordoba, which is the more accurate  pronunciation. Here are the
> >> reasons:
> >>
> >> - the original city in Spain is called Cordoba all right.
> >> Wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%B3rdoba,_Spain
> >> City link: http://www.cordoba.es/
> >> - the Cordova name is a variation that came after in naming the US
> cities
> >> in the new world.
> >> - as a Spanish and Arabic speaker, Cordoba just sounds right :)
> >>
> >> Thanks for considering

and may be unlawful.