From Jesse <purplecabb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Orientation Interface
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2011 22:00:02 GMT
Storing values in an object IMHO adds little or no value.
The Array has the additional benefit of providing a preferential order as
well, for the case where the requested 'supportedOrientations' does not
contain the physical current orientation.

I do see a benefit to have defined type values, but deviating from the
numeric values only makes things more difficult to understand.  The numeric
values were chosen because these ARE the values passed to listeners of the
'orientationchange' event
On most platforms, window.orientation already contains an integer value
which is one of : 0,90,-90,180

north|south| .. imply that we are talking about the compass direction that
the device is facing, which absolutely not the case.

We could make it absolutely understandable to all by providing a static
human-readable version of the values. Like this:

// This definitely SHOULD be namespaced
OrientationType = {
  PORTRAIT:0,
  LANDSCAPE:90,
  LANDSCAPE_LEFT:90,
  LANDSCAPE_RIGHT:-90,
  PORTRAIT_RIGHTSIDEUP:0,
  PORTRAIT_UPSIDEDOWN:180
};

// RE:  I can see more orientation
// settings emerging in the future. For example, future devices may have a
// fluid orientation ....

This should not be confused with the devicemotion or accelerometer apis
which provide much more granular control when needed. Orientation values are
intended to be discrete values and not a continuous series.  The only other
orientations I foresee are possible additions of FACEUP and FACEDOWN,
although they are primarily just modifiers in another dimension to the
existing values.