From Brian LeRoux...@brian.io>
Subject finding a new name that isn't PhoneGap
Date Sat, 29 Oct 2011 02:36:10 GMT
As mentioned by Jukka, the issue tracker is a bad place for discussion
so I'm starting this thread to discuss possible name changes.

So, the name Callback comes with problems. Its generic. Its common in
JS programming. (Which is why we liked it, btw.)

Things w/ the name "phone" are out. We support tablets and all sorts
of weird devices are in the future. Things with the name "gap" are
out. There has been legal issues and its not something Apache wants to
inherit.

We brainstormed a HUGE list before proposing Callback. Frankly, I
still like Callback and haven't been compelled by arguments I've heard
so far against it. But lets go for it with some gusto here and then we
can whittle that list down (perhaps at the Apache Con?) and put that
shortlist to a vote.

For convenience, I've stared a wiki page instead of a long list of
replies ... lets use that page to collect ideas and this thread to
discuss ones we particularly like, or not.

http://wiki.phonegap.com/w/page/47468793/namechange