From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: weinre - jira, versions, etc
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:54:22 GMT
On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 13:27, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Patrick Mueller <pmuellr@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 12:40, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com
> >wrote:
> >> Separate repository (or in svn a separate folder with its own
> >> {trunk,branches,tags} structure) is the best solution for a codebase
> >> with it's own release cycle. That way you don't have to worry about
> >> the tags of more than one release cycles colliding.
> >
> > OK, why don't we shoot for that direction, independent of how the
> existing
> > runtimes are to be partitioned (and which SCM!).
>
> Sounds good.
>
> > And then, I guess we want to create a new Jira project for weinre.  The
> > current Jira for Callback seems to be here:
> >
> >    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB
> >
> > and named "Apache Callback".
> >
> > Should we use "Apache Callback weinre" /
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-weinre ??
>
> How about simply "Apache Weinre" (or "Apache weinre"?) and put the
> issue tracker at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WEINRE?

+1

I'm actually fond of the non-cap version of the name (weinre) vs the
first-cap version, but that doesn't seem to be the norm at Apache - I can
live with calling it Apache Weinre for titling purposes or whatever.

> It's OK for an Apache project to maintain multiple codebases with
> different names. Some of them use the "Apache <Project> <Codebase>"
> naming scheme, but it's also OK (and IMHO simpler) to name them
> "Apache <Codebase>".
>

> The main issue for projects with multiple codebases is just to make
> sure that the entire PMC feels responsible for and can maintain
> oversight over all the codebases of the project.

We don't have a PMC yet, right?  So, for right now, if all the committers
are fine with it, good enough?

How do you other committers feel about having weinre in a separate codebase
and jira?

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org