incubator-bval-user mailing list archives

From Nick Chalko <ncha...@google.com>
Subject Re: Bean Validation for GWT
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2010 14:39:21 GMT
On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 6:44 AM, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Nick--so, the GWT alternative to reflection would be some form of
> javascript inspection, or do they provide an API over that?  I never got
> around to giving GWT a try, so I am completely unfamiliar with how it works
> beyond a vague awareness that everything compiles to javascript (if that's
> even correct).  It sounds like you're saying the entire app, including
> bytecodes from third-party libraries, is ported and it all runs client-side,
> with reflection being a (the?) java API that is conspicuously unavailable.
>  My initial reaction to this is that it this would seem likely to cause
> problems working with many Java libraries.  To go beyond Bean Validation
> here, it sounds like a reflection analogue of slf4j might be in order,
> whereby a secondary "reflection" API is defined, with implementation jars
> provided at runtime.  Applications/libraries wanting to provide support for
> environments where java.reflect reflection is unavailable, but some
> alternative exists, could then code to the redefined API.  It happens that I
> have contributed for some years to a library that includes such an API, and
> have given thought over the years to incubating an overhaul of it at Apache
> (targeted for Commons).  If I've not guessed badly on any of the
> fundamentals, this would seem a reasonable direction to take.
>
> -Matt

Matt,

GWT use Differed binding
(http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/1.6/FAQ_Client.html#What_is_Deferred_Binding?).
My main question was, how isolated is the code that need reflection.
My assumption is should only be needed in the code that actually
validates an object graph.

I will down load and start poking around in the code.

My second question is,  Is there interest a bval-gwt subproject?

R,
nick