incubator-bval-user mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <dwo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dynamically applied constraints
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2010 13:49:22 GMT

On 6/28/10 3:03 PM, Matt Benson wrote:

> On Jun 28, 2010, at 1:52 PM, Donald Woods wrote:
>

>> On 6/24/10 2:47 PM, Matt Benson wrote:
>>> Hello all--
>>>  I'm just getting my feet wet with JSR-303.  I started out using hibernate-validator,
but as a foundation member and general connoisseur of Apache Kool-Aid I thought the very least
I could do is give bval a fair shake.  So far, just browsing code and javadocs--my typical
way of acquainting myself with an OSS project--I'm impressed, FWIW.

>>> What I want to do is expose all my validation information to my controller/view
layers per the standard APIs, and here's the catch:  *including* business-level validations
which can be extremely dynamic in nature.  To be more explicit, I am in the insurance industry,
which (in the US anyway) consists pretty much entirely of "special cases."

>>> Firstly, is this considered out of scope of "Bean Validation" (the spec)?  bval?
 If so, why?--It's my feeling that the spec intends that "validation" be quite an open-ended
concept.  A blanket "don't do this" would simply make me question the overall usefulness of
the spec.  However, it's obvious (at least, I *think* it is) that neither the annotation-based
nor XML-based configuration methods can handle the dynamic application of constraints to a
model.  At the same time I want to be able to use those configuration methods for the subset
of validations that *can* be handled so globally.

>>> I am thinking that I can reuse some of the underlying APIs from one of the existing
Bean Validation implementations to maintain this dynamic information, then implement the ConstraintValidator
for an e.g.  @DynamicValidation annotation to reuse others' machinery.  *This* I could configure
in XML; best of both worlds.  So to put this into bval terms, I could maintain a MetaBean
graph for each distinct model graph and dynamically apply constraints per graph.

>> Matt, these are exactly the type of ideas/features that we should be
>> discussing for inclusion in future releases.  We can always provide
>> additional features beyond the spec, as long as we denote them as being
>> implementation specific....
>>

> I am trying to consume the API and get a feel for what I want to recycle.  On that note,
are there any current plans to improve bval's javadocs?

No, just as code gets patched/reorganized it's up to the committer to
update the Javadoc/comments as they see fit.  Of course, anyone can
contribute patches to add missing Javadoc and we'd be happy to commit it :-)

On the original subject:  If possible/practical I would be glad for my
work to form the basis of a dynamic validation model in bval.

Great!  Since you're an existing committer (and Member) we could look at
setting up our sandbox area in svn so you could create your own branch
to work on the changes until you're ready to have the community review
them for inclusion in trunk.  Creating a new bval-dynamic module that
extends bval-jsr303 would be a great way to provide optional behavior,
like the existing bval-guice and bval-json modules.

> Regards,
> Matt
>
>> -Donald
>>

>>> This email has written itself in the sense that writing down my thoughts led
to numerous edits and sculpted the above-outlined approach, which I'm tentatively feeling
pretty good about, but I'd still like to get preliminary feedback from the community on the
oh-shit level of the task I'm setting myself.