From Aaron McCurry <amccu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How do I present Blur
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2016 21:14:07 GMT
On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 2:18 PM, Mark Kerzner <mark@elephantscale.com>
wrote:

> Hi, Aaron,
>

> Here is what I think it needs.
>
> Update to latest Lucene. Why do you think it will be a major undertaking?
> Are you going to re-architect at the same time?

If I were to do just perform the upgrade it might require some
re-architecting but I would hope it would be minimal.

> Create a front end, maybe a service in AWS also.

Agreed.  There was a GUI contrib a long time ago, but I'm sure it needs
some work at this point.

> I can ask a friend who was considering using Blur, what stopped him. We
> will know what would people need.

I'm always interested to know other people's reasoning.

> I am interesting. My colleague at http://elephantscale.com/ might be
> interested too. I have a related project, https://github.com/shmsoft/
> FreeEed,
> and https://github.com/shmsoft/FreeEedUI. It 'd be good, potentially, to
> add Blur as a back end, an alternative to Solr.

Hmm, ok I will take a look.  Thanks.

> Update the 2011 copyright. It needs to look alive and be alive.

Yeah.

> Personnel reasons that you mention are people, not your personal problems,
> I assume.

No I didn't have issues with anyone in the project or outside the project
for that matter.  My job position changed and the new position hasn't
required me to work on search related tech yet.  Along with the job change
I have had to spend far more time at home due to a health related issue in
my family.

Thanks for the questions and the comments!

Aaron