From Ravikumar Govindarajan <ravikumar.govindara...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IndexReaderClosedException...
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2016 09:40:20 GMT

> In newer versions of the code there are multiple streams involved.  One for
> each open file handle plus if a sequential read is detected a new stream is
> created for the instance for better performance

Great. We just patched up our Blur version with this code.

While I was digging at the reader-closed issue, was quite surprised to
observe the following behavior

   - Issue a commit
   - Lucene opens a new reader via IndexWriter. (Doesn't re-use our already
   opened DirectoryReader)
   - Processes all updates/deletes/merges
   - Closes the new reader
   - Complete commit

For a big index & lots of commits, opening a new-reader for every commit is
prohibitively expensive.

Here is the JIRA for it...

All we need to do is just set "readerPooling=true" in IndexWriterConfig
class

Please do explore this option when you find time.

--
Ravi

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 7:48 PM, Aaron McCurry <amccurry@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 6:06 AM, Ravikumar Govindarajan <
> ravikumar.govindarajan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > We have solved it temporarily by using a KeepLastTwoCommits del policy.
> We
> > don't get these exceptions now!!!
> >

> Great!
>

> > Btw, I see that pread calls in FSDataInputStream.java are synchronized.
> Is
> > it possible that merge DFS read calls could potentially block search DFS
> > read calls?
> >

> Yes.
>

> > Would it be a good idea to have 2 DFSInputStreams for every file, one for
> > merge & another for search?
> >

> In newer versions of the code there are multiple streams involved.  One for
> each open file handle plus if a sequential read is detected a new stream is
> created for the instance for better performance.  Checkout the
> HdfsDirectory class.
>
> Aaron
>

> > On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 7:43 PM, Ravikumar Govindarajan <
> > ravikumar.govindarajan@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry, I mis-understood the code.
> > > I see that it has 2 locks IndexRefreshWriteLock &
> IndexRefreshReadLock.
> > > They look to be separate

> > the

> as

Stream

This

> https://github.com/apache/incubator-blur/blob/release-0.2.2-incubating/blur-core/src/main/java/org/apache/blur/manager/writer/BlurIndexSimpleWriter.java#L303

> > the

> > for

> > org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSInputStream.read(DFSInputStream.java:1374)
> > >>>
> org.apache.hadoop.fs.FSDataInputStream.read(FSDataInputStream.java:89)
> > >>> >

> org.apache.blur.store.hdfs.HdfsIndexInput.readInternal(HdfsIndexInput.java:62)
> > >>> >

> org.apache.blur.store.buffer.ReusedBufferedIndexInput.readBytes(ReusedBufferedIndexInput.java:167)
> > >>> >

> org.apache.blur.store.buffer.ReusedBufferedIndexInput.readBytes(ReusedBufferedIndexInput.java:122)
> > >>> >

> org.apache.blur.store.hdfs.MmapCacheIndexInput.readAndcache(MmapCacheIndexInput.java:24)
> > >>> >

> org.apache.blur.store.blockcache_v2.CacheIndexInput.fillNormally(CacheIndexInput.java:354)
> > >>> >

> org.apache.blur.store.blockcache_v2.CacheIndexInput.fill(CacheIndexInput.java:379)
> > >>> >

> org.apache.blur.store.blockcache_v2.CacheIndexInput.tryToFill(CacheIndexInput.java:297)
> > >>> >

> org.apache.blur.store.blockcache_v2.CacheIndexInput.readByte(CacheIndexInput.java:151)
> > >>> >

> org.apache.blur.lucene.warmup.TraceableIndexInput.readByte(TraceableIndexInput.java:62)
> > >>> >

> org.apache.lucene.codecs.BlockTreeTermsReader$FieldReader$SegmentTermsEnum$Frame.loadBlock(BlockTreeTermsReader.java:2366)
> > >>> >

> org.apache.lucene.codecs.BlockTreeTermsReader$FieldReader$SegmentTermsEnum.seekCeil(BlockTreeTermsReader.java:1949)
> > >>> >

> org.apache.blur.index.ExitableReader$ExitableTermsEnum.seekCeil(ExitableReader.java:250)
> > >>> >

> org.apache.lucene.index.FilteredTermsEnum.next(FilteredTermsEnum.java:225)
> > >>> >

> org.apache.lucene.search.TermCollectingRewrite.collectTerms(TermCollectingRewrite.java:78)
> > >>> >

> org.apache.lucene.search.ConstantScoreAutoRewrite.rewrite(ConstantScoreAutoRewrite.java:95)
> > >>> >

> org.apache.lucene.search.MultiTermQuery$ConstantScoreAutoRewrite.rewrite(MultiTermQuery.java:220)
> > >>>
> > org.apache.lucene.search.MultiTermQuery.rewrite(MultiTermQuery.java:288)
> > org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanQuery.rewrite(BooleanQuery.java:412)
> > org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanQuery.rewrite(BooleanQuery.java:412)
> > org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanQuery.rewrite(BooleanQuery.java:412)

> > it's

> amccurry@gmail.com

> > through

Has this been