From Ravikumar Govindarajan <ravikumar.govindara...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: General guidance on blur-shard server
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2015 12:15:08 GMT
On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 11:00 AM, Aaron McCurry <amccurry@gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought the normal hdfs replica rules were once local. One remote rack
> once same rack.

Yes. One copy is local & other two copies on the same remote rack.

How did
> land on your current configuration ?

When I was evaluating disk-budget, we were looking at 6 expensive drives
per machine. It lead me to think what those 6 drives would do & how we can
reduce the cost. Then stumbled on this two-rack setup and now we need only
2 such drives...

Apart from reduced disk-budget & write-overhead on cluster, it also helps
in greater availability as rack-failure would be recoverable...

--
Ravi