From "A. J. Rajkumar" <ajrajku...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: QuickStart info - outdated
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2013 03:41:38 GMT
Hi Folks

    Let me respond to each of these in-line (in bold).

Regards
Joseph Rajkumar
====================== =====================

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 8:40 PM, Aaron McCurry <amccurry@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Joseph,
>
> Welcome!  Hopefully I can help and answer a few questions.
>

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM, A. J. Rajkumar <ajrajkumar@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks
> >
> >      I am trying to get started with Blur as a user and have a number of
> > questions:-
> >
> > 1) Which is the proper version of hadoop that plays well with the latest
> > release of blur which I have obtained
> > from this link:-   git clone http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/
> incubator-blur.git

When I downloaded using the above link I get the "Version  0.1.3", see the
snippet from the pom.xml file below:-

        *<groupId>org.apache.blur</groupId>
        <artifactId>blur</artifactId>
        <packaging>pom</packaging>
        <version>0.1.3</version>
        <name>Blur</name>*

*If I want to get the 0.2.0-SNAPSHOT version, give me the correct URL to
use with git, so I can get that.*

Any of the Apache Hadoop versions 1.0.x will work and all of the Cloudera
> cd3 versions will work.  Basically any version of Hadoop based on 0.20.x +
> with append support should work.
>
> *I have 1.0.4, which makes it one less piece to worry about. *

> > 2) I have zookeeper version 3.4.5 running.
> >

> Good, that is the best version of ZooKeeper to be running.  I recently ran
> into a problem with 3.4.4 on OSX, it was fixed in 3.4.5.
>

> > 3) I do not have hadoop running, but I have hadoop-1.0.4 and set the
> > HADOOP_PATH in the blur conf directory.
> >

> That is fine as long as you specify a file:/// based uri for table storage,
> when you create a table.  e.g. "file:///local-dir/tables/table-dir".  If
> after you get up and running you would like to run blur against a
> hdfs instance then obviously you will need hdfs running.  And the storage
> uri will change to something like:
> "hdfs://hostname:port/blur/tables/table-dir".
>
> *I will worry about this when I get "blur" to work.*
>

> > 4) The QuickStart at this link http://wiki.apache.org/blur/QuickStart is
> > outdated.
> >

> Ok, is it because of #5 or is there another problem with the document?  If
> there is anything missing or not accurate I definitely want to get those
> fixed.  Let us know.
>
> There is no such thing as 0.2.0-SNAPSHOT, see the snippet from the pom.xml
> file abouve.
>

>  >
> > 5) When I run the command: $ bin/blur shell localhost:40020
>

> > I get the following error:-
> >
> > Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: shell
> > Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: shell
> >     at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)
> >     at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
> >     at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
> >     at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
> >     at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
> >     at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)
> >

> Ok, I just added this to the 0.2-dev branch. (
>
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-blur.git;a=blob;f=src/distribution/src/main/scripts/bin/blur;h=c2ea2540da9411581f285286cf5b860cc642df3e;hb=0.2-dev
> )
>
> With you new "blur" script, I get this new class not found error: See
below:-

Marc-Anthonys-iMac:bin marcanthony$ ./blur2 shell

*Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/blur/shell/Main
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.blur.shell.Main
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)*

*In which "jar" is this "shell/Main" defined. I printed the BLUR_CLASSPATH
and all the jars in the lib directory are included
but still I get this error.*