From Aaron McCurry <amccu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: QuickStart info - outdated
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2013 01:40:45 GMT
Hi Joseph,

Welcome!  Hopefully I can help and answer a few questions.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM, A. J. Rajkumar <ajrajkumar@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Folks
>
>      I am trying to get started with Blur as a user and have a number of
> questions:-
>
> 1) Which is the proper version of hadoop that plays well with the latest
> release of blur which I have obtained
> from this link:-   git clone http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/
> incubator-blur.git

Any of the Apache Hadoop versions 1.0.x will work and all of the Cloudera
cd3 versions will work.  Basically any version of Hadoop based on 0.20.x +
with append support should work.

> 2) I have zookeeper version 3.4.5 running.

Good, that is the best version of ZooKeeper to be running.  I recently ran
into a problem with 3.4.4 on OSX, it was fixed in 3.4.5.

> 3) I do not have hadoop running, but I have hadoop-1.0.4 and set the
> HADOOP_PATH in the blur conf directory.

That is fine as long as you specify a file:/// based uri for table storage,
when you create a table.  e.g. "file:///local-dir/tables/table-dir".  If
after you get up and running you would like to run blur against a
hdfs instance then obviously you will need hdfs running.  And the storage
uri will change to something like:
"hdfs://hostname:port/blur/tables/table-dir".

> 4) The QuickStart at this link http://wiki.apache.org/blur/QuickStart is
> outdated.

Ok, is it because of #5 or is there another problem with the document?  If
there is anything missing or not accurate I definitely want to get those
fixed.  Let us know.

> 5) When I run the command: $ bin/blur shell localhost:40020

> I get the following error:-
>
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: shell
> Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: shell
>     at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)
>     at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
>     at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
>     at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
>     at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)

Ok, I just added this to the 0.2-dev branch. (
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-blur.git;a=blob;f=src/distribution/src/main/scripts/bin/blur;h=c2ea2540da9411581f285286cf5b860cc642df3e;hb=0.2-dev
)

Could you look at the src/pom.xml and validate that the version you have
built with is 0.2.0-SNAPSHOT?

Should look something like:

 <groupId>org.apache.blur</groupId>
 <artifactId>blur</artifactId>
 <version>0.2.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
 <packaging>pom</packaging>

If it's not the right version check in git that you are on the 0.2-dev
branch. "git status"

> 6) Earlier I had a problem with "ssh localhost", when it asked me for a
> password, but I have fixed that problem now.

Great!

> 7) Do I have to have to have hadoop running and which version of hadoop?

To setup a simple single instance you do not have to have Hadoop running.
 Only the libraries are needed, once you move beyond a single instance you
have to run HDFS.

> Regards
> Joseph Rajkumar
>
> PS: Any help is greatly appreciated and by the way, do you guys meet in
> Reston on Monday or Wednesday and at what time, 4:30 PM EST??

We have not had any meetups in a couple of months mainly due to the
Holidays and people schedules being busy.  However I'm for setting one up
for next week on Wednesday, perhaps 4:30 is a little early?  5 or 5:30?  I
will send out an email on the mail list to see what would be best.