From Aaron McCurry <amccu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Trying to use HighlightOptions with search and fetch
Date Wed, 10 Jun 2015 12:40:36 GMT
On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 3:39 PM, Andrew <andrew.va@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm attempting to implement search result highlighting and I'm running into
> some problems.
>
> Every time I ask blur to highlight the search results, I get back rows with
> 0 records. Same with fetching.
>
> I have figured out what the problem is, but I don't have a solution.
>
> Background:
> Running blur 0.2.3
> We have extended FilteredBlurServer to remove records from the results
> based on the data in one of the columns.
>
> What I discovered is that when you ask blur to highlight search results, it
> only returns columns that have highlighted data. Therefore our security
> filter can't see the acl column and throws away all the records.
> - Is this different in blur 0.2.4?
> - Is there any way to make blur return all the data but with highlighting
> on matching columns?
> - Maybe the Row class could have records & highlightedRecords?

I think we should some options to the HighlightOptions to allow you specify
the behavior you want.  Then we can make the highlighter use these
options.  What options do you need?

> Assuming I can get this step working, there will be a second problem. If
> the acl column is used in a query with highlighting, it will change the
> value of the column and fail security.
> Possible solutions...
> - add a field to HighlightOptions that can specify fields to not highlight.
> - perform highlighting after filtering

Yes with the new options we should have the ability to not highlight
certain columns.

I will look through the internals today and maybe there is a way you can
work around this issue now and we can make it better in the future.