From Aaron McCurry <amccu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Blur computation colocation?
Date Thu, 01 Jan 2015 17:30:32 GMT
On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 5:27 PM, Mark Kerzner <mark@elephantscale.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> To put my question in a context, here is an article about Hadoop/ES
>  integration, http://hortonworks.com/partner/elasticsearch/. It talks
> about
> the colocation capability
> <
> http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/hadoop/current/arch.html
> >:
> ship my code to the ES node, and do a number of look-up on the ES node
> locally. However, that is supposedely done only for mapreduce, and one
> would have to use ES API for non-mapreduce tasks, such as Storm nodes.
>
> Can local computation be solved with Blur? That is, can I discover where
> the shards are, and send my computation to that server?

The short answer is yes.  Take a look at the documentation.

https://incubator.apache.org/blur/docs/0.2.4/platform.html

It's a work in progress, but should give you an idea of thoughts behind the
blur platform feature.

Also take a look at
https://github.com/apache/incubator-blur/tree/master/blur-command for the
current commands and how to run them and test them.  Thanks!

Aaron