From Chris Rohr <rohr.ch...@gmail.com>
Subject Setting Thrift Max Frame Size
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2014 15:52:45 GMT
Hi all,

We are having an issue with hitting the max frame size on thrift.  I
had gotten some guidance to use the config option
blur.thrift.max.frame.size to increase from the 16M default, however,
this doesn't seem to affect the error.

I have a theory as to why we are still getting the error and wanted to
run it by everyone.  I think this error is being thrown on the client
side connecting to the controllers.  I see that the BlurClient sets up
the BlurClientManager which in turn creates a ClientPool.  The
ClientPool seems to set the max frame size but the code will always
hit the default 16M and there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust that
value from the client code.

Here is the code from the ClientPool I was looking at:

static {
  try {
    BlurConfiguration config = new BlurConfiguration();
    _idleTimeBeforeClosingClient =
config.getLong(BLUR_CLIENTPOOL_CLIENT_CLOSE_THRESHOLD,
TimeUnit.SECONDS.toNanos(30));
    _clientPoolCleanFrequency =
config.getLong(BLUR_CLIENTPOOL_CLIENT_CLEAN_FREQUENCY,
TimeUnit.SECONDS.toMillis(3));
    _maxFrameSize = config.getInt(BLUR_THRIFT_MAX_FRAME_SIZE, 16384000);
  } catch (Exception e) {
    throw new RuntimeException(e);
  }
  checkAndRemoveStaleClients();
}

BlurClient and BlurClientManager do not have any setters or references
to affect this code in the ClientPool.

Could this be the issue we are seeing?

Thanks,
Chris