From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Testing weirdness
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2014 14:36:18 GMT
On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 7:47 AM, Chris Rohr <rohr.chris@gmail.com> wrote:
> This isn't totally a Blur question exactly, but I'm having some
> weirdness running console tests and I thought I would get some insight
> to see if anyone has any ideas.  Here are the scenarios that I have
> performed an the outcomes (note, this is on a feature branch I'm
> currently working, I will indicate the scenario outcomes on current
> master as well).
>
> #1 Running each test class standalone in Eclipse
> #1 Outcome (Pass): each test passes
>
> #2 Running all tests in Eclipse
> #2 Outcome (Errors): The first test usually passes and then all
> subsequent tests fail with connection loss to Zookeeper (from
> minicluster).  Note in this scenario, each test class starts the mini
> cluster and then after shuts it down
>
> #3 Running the ConsoleTestSuite class in Eclipse
> #3 Outcome (Failures): MiniCluster starts before all, the tests run
> but any assertion after changing Blur (i.e. creating a table or
> querying) fails like the action never happened, then the MiniCluster
> shuts down.
>
> #4 Running each test class standalone in Maven
> #4 Outcome (Errors): MiniCluster isn't in the classpath (fyi, the
> blur-core module is a test dependency not compile scope) ----- This
> passes in current master
>
> #5 Running all tests from blur-console directory in maven
> #5 Outcome (Errors): Same as #4 ----- This passes in current master
>
> #6 Running the ConsoleTestSuite in Maven
> #6 Outcome (Errors): Same as #4 ----- This has the same affect in
> current master as #3
>
> #7 Running all tests from root in maven
> #7 Outcome (Errors): Never get to blur-console as other modules fail first
>
> I'm sure this is something I'm just missing.  To give some more info
> on the changes I made on my feature branch.  I am trying to remove the
> dependency on ZookeeperClient hence removing the dependency on
> blur-core for the console.  I did have to leave it in the test scope
> (as well as the blur-core test-jar) for the MiniCluster.

Have you rebased the branch with master recently?  I remember there
was some issue with us using Zookeeper in some places instead of our
ZookeeperClient - ours has retry logic built in so it gets around some
timing issues.  Is #6 the only one that you can reproduce in master -
can you give a stack trace or more details on it?  If you wanna push
your branch, if it's something your doing, we should be able to help
spot it in the diffs pretty quickly?

--tim