From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Blur Metrics
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2014 13:35:21 GMT
On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 7:44 AM, Chris Rohr <rohr.chris@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been looking into migrating the functionality from blur-gui into
> the blur console so that maybe we can have 1 place for all insights
> into Blur.  The problem I have is that I believe the response I get
> back from client.metrics will be the metrics for whichever controller
> the client gets a connection from.
>
> In order to get a cluster view or even node by node view, I would need
> to create a new client with the individual controller only and then
> aggregate.  I'm afraid of two things with this:
>
> 1. The performance impact (and speed) of requesting from each
> controller the metrics and then aggregating

Maybe we could implement a custom ScheduledReporter in Yammer and
stream them to you instead of polling?  I reckon the console could
register itself as a reportinghost in zk, then when the reporter
initializes, it could look for where it should report?

> 2. In the new approach of random ports and the client handling the
> controller connections behind the scenes, there isn't really a way to
> get just a single controller.

You can still address individual controllers, you'd just have to get
their address from zk.

Thanks,
--tim