From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jetty Dependency
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2014 12:42:40 GMT
On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 8:02 AM, Chris Rohr <rohr.chris@gmail.com> wrote:
> Currently blur-gui and blur-console is using Jetty v6.1.26 due to the
> fact that hadoop has a dependency on it.  It would be nice if we could
> utilize Jetty v9 and the enhancements it brings, but I'm not sure
> downstream affects of that.  I don't want to have conflicts in the
> dependencies.
>
> What is everyone's thoughts on this?

As Aaron mentioned, I've been exploring embedding an OSGi runtime
(Apache Felix) inside of the blur server, then deploying the Gui as a
bundle.  This gives the Gui it's own classloader and freedom to use
whatever it wants.  I'm mainly doing it as a way of exploring using
OSGi as the basis for the new Blur Platform - allowing users to
extend/build upon blur in an easy way.  The blur-core <-> blur-gui
happens to be a nice way to dip our toes in the osgi waters.  At this
point, I reckon its an experiment and we're not ready to commit to
OSGi but I could push what I have sometime this week and let folks
take a peek?

If we broke the blur-core -> blur-gui dependency wouldn't that solve
the conflict problem?  It's always seemed an odd dependency anyways...

--tim