From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: what to do with shardServerList?
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2014 16:52:24 GMT
On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Chris Rohr <rohr.chris@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would this be from the Thrift calls only?  (i.e. not the
> ZookeeperClusterStatus object?)  The console uses the
> ZookeeperClusterStatus object to get online/offline shards and controllers
> from ZK.

No, it'd be removed everywhere (thrift and zk path).  It'd basically
get rid of the notion of 'offline' shards - your usage is essentially
the same as the TopCommand I described. The trouble is that in a world
of random ports a lot of bookkeeping overhead would be necessary to
reliably maintain the notion of 'offline' or 'registered vs online'
shards.  As I understand it, the need for them was back when the
layout manager relied on that knowledge but the default layout manager
is more dynamic now.  Do you just display them or is there another
need in the console for them?

Thanks,
--tim