From Aaron McCurry <amccu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: cluster on fully random ports
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2014 00:13:11 GMT
On Tuesday, July 15, 2014, Tim Williams <williamstw@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 9:17 AM, Aaron McCurry <amccurry@gmail.com
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Garrett Barton <
> garrett.barton@gmail.com <javascript:;>>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I don't think the blur gui ports are currently stored in ZK, so one
> would
> >> either add them to ZK or poll each shard/controller for the port its
> >> running its gui on.
> >>

> > My vote is to look them up via thrift (and cache as needed).  The config
> > value is "blur.http.status.running.port" and can be retrieved by calling
> > getConfiguration() on the given process.  We could likely build a nice
> > little java object that would cache things as needed and make the results
> > available via a thrift admin call.
>
> I hadn't thought about the gui, I'm wondering how that'd work from a
> user perspective?  You thinking they'd ask the CLI for a list of GUI
> URI's or ?

Perhaps blur console can be the app to like everything together?  As well
as the cli.

> Speaking of the CLI... that's another one that'd need to change to
> build the connstring from ZK...

I think we need to extend the blur client API to use the zookeeper
connection string to discover the controllers.

I did have another thought. We could have seed controllers that are fixed
and the clients extend to all online shards.

Aaron