From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: console dev
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2014 22:04:31 GMT
On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Andrew <andrew.va@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 3:20 PM, Tim Williams <williamstw@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Chris Rohr <rohr.chris@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Tim,
>> >
>> > Sorry, the README needs to be updated as things have moved around.  There
>> > are a couple of ways to do development on the UI portion of the code
>> base.
>> >
>> > 1. From the src/main/webapp directory run grunt serve which will start a
>> > nodejs server (port 3000 i believe) and serve up the UI and watch for JS
>> > and CSS changes.  This process will also use fake data by default but you
>> > can change that by delete the fakeIt parameter
>> >
>> > 2. In eclipse, if you change the source js and scss files you still need
>> > run the grunt commands to "compile" into the public directory.  If you
>> have
>> > the server running in eclipse, eclipse will NOT auto update the running
>> > system, so you will have to refresh and restart the server on each change
>> > if you want to see it.
>>
>> Well, I was going for option 3 - I crafted a bash script that parses
>> the Gruntfile and uses that to create a new driver file
>> (index-dev.html) that uses the exploded js files and sits beside the
>> index.html file.  Sadly, it caused me to realize that we don't seem to
>> actually ship the sources to these dependencies. With this experience,
>> I'd like to gently raise a couple questions:
>>
>> 1) I think we should be shipping the source code for these js
>> dependencies with the source distribution vs the 'uglified' stuff
>> embedded in our uglified js file.  Thoughts?
>>

> The source code for the js dependencies is included in the source
> distribution.
> The dependencies js can be found in the webapp/libs folder.

Hmm... on a fresh package, here's the contents of the webapp folder of
the source tarball - note I don't have a libs folder in there; perhaps
the packaging got goofed or I'm running it incorrectly?

twilliams$ ls distribution/target/apache-blur-0.2.2-incubating-src/blur-console/src/main/webapp/

Gruntfile.js
bower.json
index.html
karma.conf.js
public
test
banner
img
js
package.json
sass

> The custom js can be found in the webapp/js folder.

yep, I see the blur-*.js stuffs fine.

> The console can be "built" from the source distribution (that's why the
> public folder is included), but it does require some javascript development
> tools to be installed if you wish to make changes.

Well, that's what I'm asking if we can simplify.  It seems like a lot
of overhead for to manage 14 external js files to me. My question
comes at this from the perspective that the typical dev will be a blur
[java] developer that just wants to add something to the console - the
higher the barrier of entry, the less likely that would get
contributed.  But I'm just trying to get a feel for what folks think.
I tend to work disconnected and that also influences my query as well
- maven already makes that hard enough.

--tim