From Andrew <andrew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: console dev
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2014 20:31:11 GMT
On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 3:20 PM, Tim Williams <williamstw@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Chris Rohr <rohr.chris@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Tim,
> >
> > Sorry, the README needs to be updated as things have moved around.  There
> > are a couple of ways to do development on the UI portion of the code
> base.
> >
> > 1. From the src/main/webapp directory run grunt serve which will start a
> > nodejs server (port 3000 i believe) and serve up the UI and watch for JS
> > and CSS changes.  This process will also use fake data by default but you
> > can change that by delete the fakeIt parameter
> >
> > 2. In eclipse, if you change the source js and scss files you still need
> > run the grunt commands to "compile" into the public directory.  If you
> have
> > the server running in eclipse, eclipse will NOT auto update the running
> > system, so you will have to refresh and restart the server on each change
> > if you want to see it.
>
> Well, I was going for option 3 - I crafted a bash script that parses
> the Gruntfile and uses that to create a new driver file
> (index-dev.html) that uses the exploded js files and sits beside the
> index.html file.  Sadly, it caused me to realize that we don't seem to
> actually ship the sources to these dependencies. With this experience,
> I'd like to gently raise a couple questions:
>
> 1) I think we should be shipping the source code for these js
> dependencies with the source distribution vs the 'uglified' stuff
> embedded in our uglified js file.  Thoughts?

The source code for the js dependencies is included in the source
distribution.
The dependencies js can be found in the webapp/libs folder.
The custom js can be found in the webapp/js folder.
The console can be "built" from the source distribution (that's why the
public folder is included), but it does require some javascript development
tools to be installed if you wish to make changes.
Also, if you're running a modern browser, there are sourcemaps available
for the js and css to make debugging easier.