From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Blur version 0.2.2-incubating - RC1
Date Wed, 07 May 2014 22:45:03 GMT
On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 6:12 PM, Aaron McCurry <amccurry@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback!
>

> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 7:14 PM, Patrick Hunt <phunt@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I see a number of NOTICE files in the source artifact. e.g.
>>
>> ./distribution/src/main/resources-hadoop1/notices/jetty-6.1.26.jar.NOTICE
>>
>> I don't believe you should be including these given the artifact
>> doesn't include those jars. I'm not sure what to make of this...
>>

> These *.NOTICE files are a part of the source distro because we use them
> plus the embedded script to generate the NOTICE file for the binary
> artifact.  It it enough to explain there existence or do we need to rename
> them there extension to something else?

Honestly, I'm not sure (haven't seen this before with recent incubator
projects). I'd just be concerned re confusion... Perhaps one of the
other mentors can comment, my concern may be unwarranted.

Given this is a release tool (iiuc) and not part of blur itself,
perhaps it would be better to move this elsewhere? Into it's own
subdirectory separate from the project "source"?

e.g. cassandra keeps it's logo in the svn repository, but it's
separate from the released "source":
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cassandra/

>> would be good to add header boilerplate to Blur.html and index.html files.
>>

> Do you mean add the boilerplate "Apache Blur is undergoing incubation..."?
>  I can see that on the index.html file but the Blur.html is generated from
> Thrift and is a API layout file.

I meant the license header (what we put into e.g. java files)
  ./distribution/src/main/scripts/interface/gen-html/Blur.html
  ./distribution/src/main/scripts/interface/gen-html/index.html
I saw those in the repo and source artifact. Didn't realize they were
generated. (RAT picked up on them) Generated files don't need to have
this so please disregard
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#notes-license-headers

>> Otw things looked pretty good.
>>
>> Your git tag should probably be 'release-0.2.2-incubating-rc1" and not
>> "release-0.2.2-incubating", given it's not approved yet (most projects
>> use release-0.2.2-incubating-rc1 then add the release-0.2.2-incubating
>> tag once the release is approved).
>>

> Ok.
>

>> This is a nit (not a release blocker) but your notice/copyright files
>> are still 2013, should be updated to include 2014.
>>

> Thanks we will update.

NP.

Patrick