From Aaron McCurry <amccu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Blur version 0.2.2-incubating - RC1
Date Tue, 13 May 2014 21:14:28 GMT
On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 6:45 PM, Patrick Hunt <phunt@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 6:12 PM, Aaron McCurry <amccurry@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for the feedback!
> >

> > On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 7:14 PM, Patrick Hunt <phunt@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> I see a number of NOTICE files in the source artifact. e.g.
> >>

> ./distribution/src/main/resources-hadoop1/notices/jetty-6.1.26.jar.NOTICE
> >>
> >> I don't believe you should be including these given the artifact
> >> doesn't include those jars. I'm not sure what to make of this...
> >>

> > These *.NOTICE files are a part of the source distro because we use them
> > plus the embedded script to generate the NOTICE file for the binary
> > artifact.  It it enough to explain there existence or do we need to
> rename
> > them there extension to something else?
> >

> Honestly, I'm not sure (haven't seen this before with recent incubator
> projects). I'd just be concerned re confusion... Perhaps one of the
> other mentors can comment, my concern may be unwarranted.
>
> Given this is a release tool (iiuc) and not part of blur itself,
> perhaps it would be better to move this elsewhere? Into it's own
> subdirectory separate from the project "source"?
>
> e.g. cassandra keeps it's logo in the svn repository, but it's
> separate from the released "source":
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cassandra/

What if we kept them in the source repo, but removed them from the source
artifact upon release?  Only the combined binary NOTICE is needed to create
the binary artifact from the source artifact.  We really only need those
files when we need to add or change the binary NOTICE file.

What are people's thoughts on this?

Also is this something that should hold up this release?

Should we start the vote over considering that the mail list issues of last
week?

Aaron