From Chris Rohr <rohr.ch...@gmail.com>
Subject Blur Console Runtime Question
Date Sun, 06 Apr 2014 16:45:02 GMT
Currently I have been setting up the Blur console to run along side
controllers, where it would run in its own process but would utilize the
blur config file to get the connection to zookeeper and then determine
controllers to connect to from there.

After some more thinking and from experience of use with the previous
version, I'm rethinking this approach slightly and wanted some opinions.
 With the way I had started to implement, this would mean the console would
access blur through all of the controllers (utilizing the round-robin
nature of the blur client).  This has some implications on performance,
where the console itself could bring down all of the controllers.

On a system I am currently using, we ended up using a portion of the
controllers for things like the console and shell type tools and used the
other controllers for the running application to use.  This way if the
console does something bad, it won't bring down everything.

My proposed change is to still have the console run on a controller server,
but only use the local instances to connect to blur instead of all of them.
 This still could all anyone to run the console on any of the controllers
if they want, but would still only reduce the load to that server's
controllers.

Thoughts?

Chris