From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Graduating from the Incubator
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2014 18:01:36 GMT
Tim,

Good question.  You've made a few releases, you have 3+ active
developers, so perhaps its time to start the graduation process.

Looking at the website, I'd prefer it better distinguish between users
downloading release tarballs and contributors getting sources from
git.  For example, the "download it now" link only mentions git, and
the "getting started" page in the released documentation tells how to
build from git rather than from the released sources.  This is in part
a legal issue: Apache's legal product is source code tarballs, and
that's what end users (folks outside of Apache) should be steered
towards.  Contributors are insiders, part of Apache, and can be
directed towards git.  We want users to transition to contributors,
but there should be a distinction.  A best practice is to put
contributor-oriented documentation on separate pages from end-user
documentation.

Doug