From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Graduating from the Incubator
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2014 03:17:44 GMT
On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 1:01 PM, Doug Cutting <cutting@apache.org> wrote:
> Tim,
>
> Good question.  You've made a few releases, you have 3+ active
> developers, so perhaps its time to start the graduation process.
>
> Looking at the website, I'd prefer it better distinguish between users
> downloading release tarballs and contributors getting sources from
> git.  For example, the "download it now" link only mentions git,

I've changed the "download it now" to point to the formal release.

> the "getting started" page in the released documentation tells how to
> build from git rather than from the released sources.

I'm not sure what you mean.  We have two different pages:

[1] The "Get Involved", which typically means you want to get involved
with the project.  That does link to git - rightfully so, I reckon.
That's getting involved with Blur the project.

[2] The "Getting Started" that's a part of the release documentation.
That page refers to both the official source release and the
convenience binaries.  That's getting started with Blur, the software,
not the project.

[1] - http://blur.staging.apache.org/blur/get_involved.html
[2] - http://blur.staging.apache.org/blur/docs/0.2.0/getting-started.html

> A best practice is to put
> contributor-oriented documentation on separate pages from end-user
> documentation.

I've changed the label from Get Involved -> Contribute.  And I've
created a link to "Getting Started" directly from the main navigation.
 Obviously it can improve, but hopefully that clarifies it for now?

--tim