From Dibyendu Bhattacharya <dibyendu.bhattach...@gmail.com>
Subject Query on Blur Shards and Architecture
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2014 11:20:43 GMT
Hi,

We are presently evaluating Blur for our distributed search platform. I
have few questions on Blur architecture which I need to clarify.

1. During Table creation, we mention the Shard count. Is this count be
changed at later point of time, or this is fixed ?

2. As the shards are self sufficient indexes, is there any Routing support
available for keys to a specific shards during indexing and during search ?

3. Do you have any writeup available how Lucene Segments got merged in HDFS
and how the Block Cache gets updated after segments merge.

4. How Blur handles fail-over ? If a Shard Server dies, how replica shards
took over ? I understand Zookeeper comes here, but do you have some
 writeup on this ?

4. Do you have any benchmark for Blur MTTR (Mean time to recover) ?

5. From my initial understanding, Blur has similar issue like HBase on Data
Locality on fail over. If all files for a given Shards are replicated all
over HDFS, during fail over , it will loose the data  locality. Is that
correct ?

Regards,
Dibyendu