From Aaron McCurry <amccu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: TCP Incast
Date Sun, 23 Feb 2014 01:36:18 GMT
Yes is does (or can) at high load.  So at this point I would recommend that
users run a single small (like 1G heap) controller on every shard server to
spread the effect out over a larger number of servers.  Other things that
can be done is increase the buffer size on NIC cards of every node (this
can help but doesn't fix the problem).  Also as you would expect as the
shard cluster size increases the potential for Incast to become a problem
increases as well (more shard servers responding).  So to help with this
problem I have begun thinking about the next layer in Blur to create even
larger clusters.  At this point I have tested and run Blur in 100+ server
clusters, but due to the architecture of search the fanout has it's limits.
 So if we were to create another layer (optional) to act as a super
controller to the controllers for each shard cluster that could help with
fanout.  So if we think the limit for fanout is around 100 servers and we
add another layer to the fanout then we could run 10,000 node clusters.

Of course this is just an idea at this point but I think it could be the
next step to server grow.

Aaron